It's April Fools' Day, and you've totally forgotten to set up any of your long-game pranks, like the one where you slowly shave down your wife's high heels, so she thinks she's shrinking. So, what are you going to do now? You can't even order a squirting flower online; it'll never ship in time!
Worry no more, pranksters! Here's a list of cheap gags that you can pull off for a few last minute chuckles. These pranks all use regular household items, so there's no investment capitol needed! However, one disclaimer: dealnews does not claim responsibility if any of these "fun" pranks result in the loss of friends, status, job, freedom, etc.
- Replace the sugar in the sugar bowl with salt. The vice-versa also works, and conveniently gives you somewhere to put the displaced sugar for the duration of the prank.
- Cover an open toilet bowl with clear plastic wrap. This one is best done in someone else's house (unless you want to consider the clean-up your penance for playing such an old gag).
- Find a sleeping person (if you live in a city, you can usually find one on the subway), fill their hand with shaving cream and then tickle their nose. You can, of course, replace the shaving cream with whipped cream for a more delicious prank.
- Grab a plant mister (or a chemical-free spray bottle) and casually stroll behind your mark. Make a sneezing noise and spray the back of their neck at the same time. Classic! Cut out the "middle man" and just sneeze on your friend for an even grosser prank!
If your kitchen sink has one of those sprinkler hoses, wrap tape or a rubber band around the trigger, so it's held down. When someone goes to get a glass of water, they'll ... open the fridge and grab the Brita pitcher. But, when they go to wash that dirty glass: POW!
- For a more direct approach, just fill a glass of water up to the brim ... then throw it in someone's face. It's totally a prank if you also scream "APRIL FOOLS'!"
- This joke is best executed in a restaurant, as the necessary items will be on hand. Set it up by asking the sucker if they know that ketchup and salt, when combined, give off heat. When they say they didn't, pour a healthy amount of ketchup onto a plate, then sprinkle a lot of salt on it. Wave your hand over it as if you're sensing the temperature. Nod and say, "Yeah, feel the heat coming off that!" When they put their hand over the pile, immediately slam their hand down into the mess. Then run.
Another ketchup prank: Grab your biggest knife, then cover it and your hand in ketchup. Run screaming into a room. If you're lucky, you'll get to hear your mom curse for the first time ever! (True story.)
- Stretch some more plastic wrap across a doorway at shoulder height. You'll be amazed by how many people will walk into it.
- Use a pin (like from the back of a button or brooch) to poke holes around the rim of a plastic disposable cup so that it will leak when drank from. Increase the excitement by then shuffling the stack of cups, so you'll never know who is going to pull the gaffed glass. It could even be YOU! Now that's an April Fools' trick: Fooling yourself!
- Phone a friend and tell them that you're a doctor, calling from the hospital and that you're very, very sorry, but you did everything you could to save their ... then pretend that the connection dropped out. Wait a couple beats, then give your deepest condolences. Then hang up. (Call from a number they don't recognize, of course.)
- Slash your neighbor's tires! (OK, not really, unless you want to deal with the messy repercussions.)
This one is great for a work environment: When your cubicle-neighbor gets up to grab some coffee, quickly scamper over to their computer and press ctrl+alt+down arrow. When the chump comes back and realizes his monitor's display is upside down, he'll be mad and ask you to change it back. When you realize that you have no idea how to restore it, you'll have to call IT. (And we all know those guys are a bunch of laughs, especially when they have to come fix your stupid prank.)
- Call a random stranger and tell them you're from the electric company and ask them if their refrigerator is running. When they say yes, tell them that they better go catch it! This one will work because no one expects the classics anymore. (If we forget prank history, we are doomed to repeat it.)
- Ask to see your friends new phone because you're thinking of getting that exact model. Then, quickly do several things: 1) Set an alarm to go off at 3 am and 2) change the language to Estonian. Hand the phone back, while smiling wickedly. They'll see what you did to the language and get mad, but they'll never suspect part two of the prank ... at least, not until 3 am!
Gosh, some of these are just cruel, huh? Oh well! Do you want to save money on April Fools' Day, or not?! Also: Stay the heck away from us on April 1.