- Barnes & Noble: Children in grades one through six who read eight or more books and complete this reading journal are eligible to receive one free children's book from participating Barnes & Noble stores. Journals must be received by September 7. (A Spanish-language journal is also available.)
- Scholastic: This summer challenge groups children into different teams encouraging them to log their summer reading minutes online. The winning team decides which Save the Children U.S. program will receive a donation from Scholastic.
- Half Price Books: Children 12 and under can earn a $3 Half Price Books discount card for each week they read at least 15 minutes per day. A reading log is required and discount cards will be honored at all Half Price store locations. Program ends July 31.
- Pottery Barn Kids: Children of all ages who attend Book Club Story Time (Tuesdays from 11 am to 11:30 am) at least five times will receive a free gift.
- TD Bank: Children who read 10 books or more this summer and complete this reading log will receive a $10 deposit towards a TD Bank Young Savers account.
- Borders / Waldenbooks: Children 12 and under who read any eight books and complete this reading log will get 50% off on select Borders or Waldenbooks in-store purchases.
- National Amusements Theatres: Through August 12, Bookworm Wednesdays entitles kids to a free movie pass when they present select Showcase Cinemas, Multiplex Cinemas, or Cinema de Lux box offices with a completed book report on a book they've read. (Accompanying parents and children under six will also receive free admission; the free passes are for select children's movies only.)
- The Old Spaghetti Factory: Every child who reads five books earns a free kid's meal.
- Chuck E. Cheese's: Receive 10 free tokens per child per visit for completing this Reading Rewards Calendar. Offer ends December 31. (Only valid with a food purchase at participating locations.)
Summer reading rewards programs for children: Barnes & Noble, Scholastic, morePublished
Summer reading programs are a great way to keep your kids interested in books over the summer. And now many book stores are encouraging children with discounts and freebies for each book they read until school starts again in autumn. Below we've gathered some of this year's biggest promotions.
Please note that, although prices sometimes fluctuate or expire unexpectedly, all products and deals mentioned in this feature were available at the lowest total price we could find at the time of publication (unless otherwise specified).