Update: Prime Day sales have started!
Our deal editors are curating the sale as we speak, and posting the top offers here.
Below, we've listed some of our favorite selections, as well as predictions about what's still to come.
Note: All deals below require a Prime membership. Some require you to order via voice control on an Alexa device in order to get the stated price.
- $10 Amazon Credit for free with $50 gift card purchase
- Amazon Fire Stick with Voice Remote for $35 and free shipping (a low by $15)
- Amazon Fire TV Streaming Media Player Bundle for $80 and free shipping (a low by $60)
- Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Cleaning Gel Pack for $3 and free shipping
- Motorola Moto 360 45mm Sport Watch for $150 and free shipping
- Samsung 55" 4K Curved Smart TV for $650 and free shipping (a low by $350)
- Philips 60W Equivalent LED Light Bulb 16-Pack for $20 and free shipping (a low by $21)
- Amazon Echo Voice-Controlled Device for $130 and free shipping (a low by $45)
- Amazon Fire 8GB 7" WiFi Tablet for $33 and free shipping (a low by $17)
- Segway miniPRO Self Balancing Transporter for $699 and free shipping (a low by $300)
- Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones for $50 and free shipping (a low by $49)
- Automatic Connected Car Adapter for $55 when ordering via Alexa and free shipping (a low by $45)
- Dromida Kodo Quadcopter Drone with Camera for $15 with Alexa and free shipping (a low by $20)
- Amazon Fire TV 4K Streaming Media Player for $70 and free shipping (a low by $30)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick Media Player for $25 and free shipping (a low by $15)
- Amazon Kindle 6" WiFi Touch eBook Reader for $50 and free shipping (a low by $20)
Click here to see all the best Prime Day deals, or read our predictions below!
What to Expect From Prime Day Deals
Last year, Amazon attempted to further its domination of online retail with the creation of Prime Day. Meant to reward the users of its wildly popular subscription program (best known for providing free shipping, but offering many other perks), Prime Day was supposed to rival Black Friday for deals according to Amazon. In reality, Prime Day was widely criticized for poor savings — but was popular enough for the megastore to bring it back.
But with many eyes on Amazon again this year, shoppers are surely expecting the store to do something big this time around. Here's what you can expect.
Amazon Prime Day 2016 Is July 12
While we can still only speculate about what will be on sale, we finally know when this year's Prime Day will arrive. The store released an official statement noting the date and a few small details:
"We are happy to announce that the second annual Prime Day event will be on July 12th starting midnight Pacific Standard Time (PST). Prime Day will feature more than 100,000 deals worldwide offered exclusively for Prime members, making it the biggest Amazon event ever. New and existing Prime members will find deals across nearly all departments and categories. There will be something for everyone with new deals as often as every five minutes throughout the day."
In addition to blockbuster deals on Prime Day, July 12th, Amazon will offer countdown deals for Prime members every day from July 5th through July 11th. Members in the U.S. will find summer entertainment deals starting Tuesday, July 5th including a 32-inch TV bundle with a Fire TV Stick for $119.99. Countdown deals will include gadgets on-the-go, products perfect for summer travel, for foodies and outdoor living, back-to-school and in-home essentials, and daily deals on top TV series and blockbuster movies available to rent or purchase and instantly stream through the Amazon Video app on any device."
Some shoppers may now be wondering if it'll be worth shopping the 2016 Prime Day sales, so we've dug up our data on last year's deals so we can predict what you should expect this year.
Who Can Shop Amazon Prime Day?
But first, let's make it clear: This sale isn't for everyone. As the name indicates, only Amazon Prime subscribers can shop Amazon Prime Day. However, this includes free trial members, guests who've been invited as part of Amazon Household, and users with Prime Fresh, Amazon Family, or Amazon Student memberships.
What Discounts Can We Expect on Prime Day?
In 2015, Amazon offered thousands of deals across a multitude of product categories, including several good deals on enticing electronics like TVs, laptops, tablets, and Roombas ... but the best deals were sold out within minutes of the sale's midnight start.
Hopefully, Amazon will take the critiques of 2015's shopping extravaganza to heart and space these deals out throughout the day on 2016, to make them available to more than just the night owls. But, barring any announcements to the contrary, it's best to assume things will play out like last year — so be ready to hit "Add to cart" when the sale starts.
You can also expect some good category sales (2015 had 30% off select clothing, shoes, and jewelry, and up to 70% off select kitchenware, for example) and plenty of Lightning Deals throughout the day.
What Should You Buy?
While many of the Prime Day deals will be a surprise, you can pretty much guarantee that there will be solid discounts on Amazon-brand products, especially anything new they're trying to hook customers on.
Last year saw discounts like 60% off Amazon Elements Baby Wipes, $15 off the Fire TV Stick, $60 off Fire HD 7, and $50 off Amazon Echo. Earlier this year, Amazon released the Echo Dot and the Echo Tap, both of which may be included in the Prime Day discounts. (The Tap has dropped to as low as $95 in the past, whereas we've never seen the Dot on sale.) In general, it's a fairly safe bet that any Amazon-brand product will see some sort of discount on Prime day.
Save at Amazon Throughout the Year
Whether or not you shop during Prime Day, there are ways to save with Amazon year round. Check out our guide to Amazon Prime perks, or check out how you can score a few extra months of Prime for free. And of course, we're always listing the latest Amazon sales, coupons, and freebies here.