Earth Day has come a long way since Senator Gaylord Nelson started this annual celebration in 1970. Today everyone wants a piece of the action, and having an environmental conscience is finally en vogue. Whatever their reasons, we can't ignore the fact that merchants big and small go to significant lengths to make the world a better place on April 22. And Mother Nature isn't the only one reaping the rewards, as retailers are keen to give their customers free stuff too. We've found free reusable bags, coffee, apps, shower gel, and more. All deals are valid for April 22 only, unless otherwise stated.
- Disney Store: "Bag" a Brave or Cars 2 Movie Reusable Bag for free when you recycle five plastic bags at a Disney Store
- Caribou Coffee: Get a free coffee when you bring in a reusable mug or tumbler; Caribou will also plant a fruit tree in Central or South America when you "like" its Facebook page
- EVOS: Get a free organic milkshake
- Joann Fabric and Craft Stores: The first 50 customers in each store will receive a free tote bag
- National Parks: Enter most National Parks for free (April 20 to 26)
- Pottery Barn Kids: Get a pack of seeds for free in store
- TabTale LTD via iTunes: Download the TabTale Kids' The Four Seasons Storybook App for iPhone or iPad for free
- Target: Get a reusable bag for free with any purchase (April 21 only)
- The Body Shop: Get a 8.4-oz. earth lovers shower gel for free online via coupon code "3MINUTE or in-store via this printable coupon
- Verde Sustainable Solutions via iTunes: Download the energy audit app Verde for iPad for free
- Wegmans: The first 300 customers can exchange a clean plastic bag for a reusable bag for free (April 20 only)
Hopefully this Earth Day you'll be able to pick up some handy environmentally-friendly freebies and make the earth a better place at the same time. If you're inspired to become a better citizen of planet earth, check out these life hacks on how to shrink your global footprint.
Photo credit: Earth Day Tumblr
Related dealnews Features: